Poll: Might Skill

Post your comments, suggestions and ideas for improving Epic Path here.

What is your overall impression of the Might skill?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:19 pm

I like it! Finally "bend bars/lift gates" is back!
No votes
It's okay, but why Strength?
No votes
It's okay, but why is Climb thrown in? It was so good on its own.
No votes
It's okay, but why isn't Swim (or something else) part of Might also?
No votes
Bah, I never play high-strength characters. I prefer to be pretty!
No votes

Total votes: 0
Nuada99

Poll: Might Skill

Postby Nuada99 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:19 pm

Might is a new strength-based skill which incorporates the Climb skill (was also strength-based), and adds a new "feats of strength" ability to the domain of skills.

Formerly, feats of strength were always stat checks, using your Strength modifier plus a d20. This meant that even very strong characters, prior to around epic levels, were largely at the mercy of that d20 result to determine whether they were strong or not. A sorcerer with an 8 strength (-1 mod) and an 18 on the die roll could rip that door of the hinges, while the barbarian with the 22 strength (+6 mod) and a 3 on the die would simply look impotent. This is bad rules.

Making it a skill allows players to choose to specialize in this, gives the barbarian a skill he can really be proud of, and also excel at, since it's strength based. Of course, the sorcerer with the 8 strength could spend skill points on it also, but at least then it's something they had to put resources into, rather than just out-bruting the barbarian because they had a lucky die roll.
Epic Path is a d20 fantasy RPG made by fans, for fans, located at epicpath.org.

Return to “Epic Path Feedback”